Thursday, June 10, 2010

Activity on the Market is building

With the addition of another wholesaler on the Market yesterday, and a steadily increasing number of buyers, we are building momentum for another successful season.

The season is an early one, and  I had a reliable report of sweet cherry harvest. If true (and I think it is), these will be the earliest sweet cherries in my lifetime. My source told me he's picking one cherry out of every three or four clusters. In other words, he's spot picking, and spot picking is about the only way I know to insure a consistent quality of fruit. I expect a premium price, maybe $3.00 lb?

On another note, tomorrow should be a very telling day in terms of our morning trade. Fridays are always busy, but a very busy Friday June 11, would be unusual. I'll post again tomorrow and let readers know the extent of the early season. Hint** "Phil's Pride" the very early but very sweet white peach may break a record this year for earliness of harvest.

Until next time, "Support your local everything."

1 comment:

  1. Hey Lee - love the blog! We'll be getting in touch with you and planning to come out to the market next week - excited about a great season!
    Deb @ Vitale's Market

    ReplyDelete