Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Sweet Cherries

I admit my favorite fruit depends upon the season, but it's hard to beat a SW Michigan sweet cherry, and our strawberry season wasn't the best--too much rain and too hot. I had some really good strawberries though, and I'm reminded that elsewhere in the country, growing conditions have been far worse.

And that's one of the competitive advantages of our Great Fruit Belt: year in and year out we're going to have better growing conditions than most other agriculture production regions.

Now, we're on the cusp of sweet cherry season, and a few are beginning to trickle onto the Market. By the end of the week, we should see some volume.

And I'd be remiss if I didn't mention red raspberries are being harvested now, along with zucchini squash, sugar snap peas, English garden peas, and I expect new red potatoes any day now.

The season is early, way early, and it looks like the weather may straighten out for a long-term period of "dry and seasonable." That's what we need...and want.

No comments:

Post a Comment